I’ve been thinking about this and I can’t figure out precisely what I’m feeling. I’ll try to disambiguate somewhat.
0. It would be Good if I settled down with a nice gal and popped out eight kids. I can sense this, and I believe my family, acquaintances, and fellow online wharrgarblers would agree with this moral sensation. It would feel correct in the same way that proper charity feels correct. However, it is not Good to be stupid or act stupidly. Except for sometimes, because by all purely material considerations it is “stupid” to be put to the question and refuse to repudiate Jesus.
Right now I’m poor in the extreme: in money, debt, social network, useful skills, marketable skills, a good first impression, and capital. All the things that matter. Perhaps the anxiety of having a kid would drive me to greater productivity, as it does with most white males. But so far anxiety has been the opposite of helpful for my economic success. I think my best bet is to turn the things I do have (aptitude, very good medium-to-long-term impression, deep and strong bonds) into the things that matter (above), and *then* breed if possible. The knowledge now exists and I just have to follow the directions with at least minimal conscientiousness.
So this is the primary tension that underlies all other considerations: having kids would be Good, but at this particular time it might be stupid, and stupid is only Good when it means being stupidly devoted to Jesus.
1. I’m a genius, albeit a very low-intelligence genius (fortunately psychology has a low g-loading :-D). So it’s not necessarily *my* job to breed, and I could continue going without and suffer little-to-zero dissonance.
2. We can actually talk about who *ought* to be breeding in objective terms of average brain matter volume, because the important thing is to raise the average within arbitrary territorial boundaries.
For instance, we don’t care that Nigerians are reproducing 8 kids apiece (or whatever) at 75 IQ (or whatever). As long as our borders are secure, they can play Malthusian trap as much as they want.
Also for instance, it doesn’t matter so much whether people above 135 are breeding above replacement because they are only 1% of the population (also regression to the mean is stronger here). But it matters a great deal how much the 115-130 crowd is breeding because they are the weightier part of the bell curve’s right side. They have to outproduce their dysgenic competitors in the 70-85 range, who are producing at an unnaturally high rate (below 70 they are still being naturally culled, generally).
Now, I’ve noticed that there is a big noticeable split in the category “white people” between “normal-functioning” and “high-functioning”. I think it’s important to understand that these large groups have very different averages.
3. Maybe give us a fight we can win? This is not just fatalism.
The major problem for most high-IQ folks, Game, has been effectively solved, thank God. But the folks you’re trying to cajole are hampered by another difficult problem: scarcity of resources and social networks, and constant geographic relocation. Essentially, we can’t even get it up unless we can expect to live in the same place for a while, have at least one or two close friends and family in the area for support, and can expect to feed the newborn consistently.
Right now is the time for MTs to earn their glory, I think. And I think Spring for TTs is coming again soon, and we’ll be able to get a lot of momentum going if we play it right and push the pendulum hard at the right time. The genes that have survived have been preserved for 40,000 years, so it’s not like we’re in a rush. What’s another 10,000 years? So right now I think we need to solve the big problems of socioeconomic survival, then finding each other and thriving as small tribes with relatively high genetic distance, assuming the continued dominance of large tribes (whatever form they take after the nation state).
4. ITZ coming. Maybe winter is coming. All this talk would be moot, and only a few hundred breeders like Tex will repopulate and play out the whole story over again.
I, personally, am not sure exactly what form ITZ will take, and I’m only about 50% sure it will be catastrophic rather than simply degenerative (which is admittedly the most I can be sure that anything will happen two decades from now). Maybe Tex is wrong about the weather, and it’s just a mild winter, and maybe the dollar crashes but the transition is actually pretty smooth. With my resources, there are contingencies I can plan for (some of the less catastrophic scenarios) and those I can’t. None of those include toddlers in tow.
How can I possibly overcome that sort of anxiety and become a breeder? I can see the 120 IQ folks being persuaded to blithely pop out kids until “holy shit no one saw ITZ coming!” Not me though. I need *at least* the slightest bit of assurance that I can make it work during resource contraction. Right now I have zero.