This picture is a really excellent illustration of all things PUA.
The Game explanation for this sequence is like so:
- Girl dresses up to maximize her SMV (for boyfriend and general status signaling).
- Boyfriend observes her maximum SMV and her motive (the latter is crucial).
- Boyfriend humorously insults her appearance using a disingenuous comparison. This indicates his belief that his own status is still higher, but not so much higher that he shouldn’t slap her down. (This is similar to the middle class disparaging the “professionalism” of high proles.)
- Girl observes higher male SMV by tautological reasoning. She acts unhappy in order to be coy (again maximizing SMV) but is secretly bursting with happiness for acquiring a high-SMV mate.
- Girl goes on social media to show off her high-SMV boyfriend as a female status signal.
So far so good. The portions that are purely Frame relate to the acts of general perception and symbolic communication, i.e. drawing attention to particular details. I’m going to take this opportunity to christen the latter the principle of “selective representation”:
1. Framing is the act of selling a perspective by bringing attention to some contextual details which are—presumably—generally representative, and downplaying others which are not.
Here’s where this is applicable to the above scenario:
- Girl dolls herself up. The purpose of makeup and clothing is to call attention to and exaggerate sexually attractive traits. The little ribbon around her neck accentuates her thin neck and is also symbolic for a submissive personality.
- Boyfriend observes both the motif (exaggerated sexual value) and the background (female nature). This is a key aspect of social intelligence.
- Boyfriend chooses to insult her. To do so, he chooses a detail to use for selective representation: the little ribbon. He notes that this ribbon looks the same as an unattractive cartoon character, and uses this to claim that her entire appearance follows this trend.
- Girl observes this misrepresentation and also the fact that this judgment occurred instantly, indicating that this response is second-nature. This reaffirms her own judgment of his sexual value (which then informs her decision to preen).
So we see that Game is a particular application of Framing, with the additional factors:
- Knowledge of how male SMV and female SMV differ.
- Knowledge that women enjoy being Gamed in the same way that Americans enjoy a charismatic sales pitch.