I’m sure this gets a lot harder once you have kids running around ruining your perfect sleep schedule.
- Do you do at least 60 minutes of physical activity every day?
- Have you gotten your testosterone tested — and is it at a healthy level?
Haven’t gotten it tested, but I’m sure it’s at a healthy level.
- Is your waist bigger than 40 inches?
- Can you hold a squat for 30 seconds?
- Can you hang from a bar for 30 seconds?
- Can you do at least five pull-ups?
- Can you pick up your body weight and carry it for distance?
- Can you standing long jump your own height?
Let me see…yes, 6’9″.
- Can you bench press your bodyweight?
- Can you deadlift 150% of your bodyweight?
No, that’s a weak area for me.
- Can you get off the ground without using your hands?
- What is the ratio between the time you spend watching other men play sports and the time you spend playing sports yourself?
I don’t watch other men play sports. Whether I play sports myself depends on whether you count triathlon training as playing a sport.
- When was the last time you pushed yourself so hard you couldn’t help but put your hands on your knees?
- When was the last time you did a flat-out sprint?
- When was the last time you crawled on the ground?
- When was the last time you jumped up to something? Down from something?
Couple weeks ago in both cases.
- When was the last time you climbed something other than a ladder?
About a month ago.
- When was the last time you did an explosive movement — kettlebell swing, plyometrics, ect?
That standing long jump I just did counts. Before that, it had been a couple weeks.
- When was the last time you felt you couldn’t do one more repetition of a weightlifting exercise, but dug deep and ground out another rep anyway?
About ten minutes ago. (Whenever I step away from the computer I do a set of something.)
- Do you spend at least an hour of time outside each day, or do you spend more time inside than the average prison inmate?
I get outside for at least an hour, but not much more than that most days, unfortunately.
- When was the last time you did a workout outside a climate-controlled building?
- When was the last time you swam in a natural body of water?
June. I only did one open-water swim this entire year for various reasons.
- How many miles did you walk over non-man-made surfaces last week?
Probably added up to a mile.
- How many miles do you think you could walk in a day — could you make it fifty?
Geez, that’s a lot. You’re talking a 24-hour day at a decent pace. Probably not. We’ll say maybe, and I’d be off my feet for a week afterward.
- When was the last time you did something that truly made you physically uncomfortable?
- How often do you feel bored?
Never. I haven’t been bored in decades.
- When was the last time you changed your opinion about something?
Maybe two weeks ago. If we’re talking a strong opinion, that would be Trump, maybe late 2018.
- When was the last time you read an entire book?
- When was the last time you read a work of philosophy?
I’m very slowly reading through The Hero with a Thousand Faces.
- When was the last time you read, and finished, a book you truly found challenging?
I finished the KJV Bible just before the new year. That was a slog.
- When was the last time you spent more than five minutes, without distraction, simply thinking about an idea?
- When was the last time you wrote something, just because you wanted to — a poem, an essay, a journal entry?
- When was the last time you learned a new skill?
Yesterday. I learned to calculate hypothesis testing statistics in Excel for a class.
- Do you have a hobby?
Yes. (The MT in me says “unfortunately”.)
- Do you engage in any pursuits you can sincerely call “creative”?
Yes, a couple of them.
- You still count your buddies from high school and college as your best friends — but have you actually kept in regular contact with them?
- When was the last time you called or texted an old friend just to catch up?
We did a meetup a week ago.
- Do you have a few close, local friends who you can do things with on a day-to-day basis?
Yeah, I’m close enough with my neighbors here that we hang out every couple of weeks.
- If you had a problem, do you have a friend you could call up to talk about it?
- Are you a part of, or have tried to start, a slightly more formal group of men organized around some activity or interest?
Yeah, I’m in the college’s coding club. All they talk about is gaming gear though, it’s a little depressing tbh.
- When was the last time you took a genuine risk, whether social, financial, professional, physical, or otherwise?
Last year when I quit my job with basically no plan except the goal to become a professional programmer.
- When was the last time you did something that truly made you nervous?
There are levels of “truly nervous” so that’s hard to answer. Hitting a pothole on a Michigan highway and losing control for a second can be pretty nervous-making.
- When was the last time you undertook an outing/trip you could legitimately describe as an adventure?
A month ago.
- Do you have future plans for undertaking something that could legitimately be described as an adventure?
Ooh, good question. No.
- How many hours a day are you on some kind of screen?
About six hours.
- If you made a list of all the tactical, survival, and DIY skills you’re adept at, how long would that list be?
About a page long, and it wouldn’t be a terribly impressive resume. I can sew tears in clothes, for example.
- Do you seek to live simply and minimally, or have you accumulated a lot of stuff that weighs you down?
It’s getting a little crowded in my apartment.
- When was the last time you entered a competition — athletic or otherwise?
Probably last year. I wouldn’t count things like the chinup competition with Boneflour (which I’m currently winning, of course).
- Do you currently have any goals you’re working towards?
- Do you have a strong sense of your life’s purpose?
Maybe 75%. About as strong as it can be for a turtle shaman.